Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Making My Living Room That Much Better

So, I'm drooling, I'm excited, I'm actually drawing plans! (I never do that!)

Right now my tv is on a sad little shelf thingie, which does not have enough room for all of our movies, games & the such. So in addition to the sad little shelf, I've got 2 other sad Family Dollar fabric bin shelves and a Family Dollar DVD rack that doesn't hold that many movies. I've never been happy with it, I've just gotten used to it.

The other day I checked out 101 Ways to Use Your First Sewing Machine of the library, there were some cute ideas in there. On page 146 she makes a "Media Center" out of a shelving unit and fabric. I LOVE IT!!!!  Of course, there is no premade shelving unit out there with the specs I want. Although, there is enough wood in my entranceway to make what I want!!


Hopefully, when all is said and done, I will have a very nice, compact "Media Center", as opposed to the jumble I have now.  After the stenciling experiment came out so well, I'm going to get some black Duck cloth to cover the sides and make "doors" (It looks good in the book, really!), and since I have roughly 50 empty beer boxes in my attic (once again, worked at a bar, not that much of a drunk), I'll use the duck cloth to make my own storage bins. I think I could make some pretty sturdy bins pretty easily. Bonus, I can stencil on them and make them look that much more me!
I'm only looking at roughly 4 yard of Duck Cloth (on sale for $7.49!) (Only 2 yards if I use something else for the storage bins!) In the book, she covers the back as well. I would like to leave the back open, with a PS3, a Wii, a dvd player and the tv I'd rather have the air circulation. (Also, that's less fabric I have to pay for! hehehe)

I have all the wood and screws. I have horribly drawn plans that are destined to go wrong. And (get your goosebumps ready), I have a circular saw!!! (You're just a little scared now, aren't ya??) I've got some black paint so it's not imperative to run out and get the cloth nowish (although I want to, so bad) Woohoo!!!  We're in business!  

If this actually works, I will be so frickin' happy! I have always wanted to be able to hide the tv, the game consoles, all that electronic crap. Wow, wish me luck! I want to start on this now! Imagine, one piece of furniture, replacing four!  My tiny living room just got a little bigger!

I'm also not breaking any of my new rules, as the wood was here already, I'm just rearranging it. The fabric bin shelves will work fantabulously in my sewing area (I can see it already!) and bathroom. The DVD rack is going to be tweaked (I have plans already, but one pipedream at a time please). The stand the tv is on now will be either attic to help organize or goodwill, haven't decided yet. 

Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was going to put something witty here, demanding your praise, ideas, input or much appreciated criticism here, but you know what to do. And if you make me cry, I'll have to flog you with soggy items. (unless its funny, I appreciate funny)