Friday, November 26, 2010

The Day After....

We survived Turkey Day, barely. I really fail to see how a day spent entirely in the kitchen, hours upon hours of prep for about 20 minutes of eating and then hours upon hours of putting stuff away, washing, cleaning, etc is a holiday. It's my own fault though. We get invites to go elsewhere, my family's, D's family's, friends, and I usually opt to stay home and torture myself. (This year's pumpkin pie, or as I call it, "that sliver I put underneath my mountain of generic whipped cream" was put in the oven minutes after the rolls came out!)

After years of going here and going there for dinner, I just crave to stay home and do my own thing. One of my favorite Turkey Day traditions is the constant playing of Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant in my kitchen. This is a rather newish tradition, I only started doing it about 4 years ago, but it's not Turkey Day without it now. For the next month I'll be singing it under my breath, every once in awhile excepting Alice will slip out and I'll get odder than normal looks!

I do have to learn to let go sometimes though. I get that drill sergeant mentality, barking, yelling, then I start that, you're not doing it right, I'll just do it, get out thing and I have to stop that, really. Baby steps though, baby steps....

This year's new thing, and let's hope this doesn't become tradition, was the Migraine From Hell. By the time all was said and done, and I took my Father home, I was in bed, sleeping by 6:15 pm. Dishes be damned, that's what GirlChilds#1&2 are for (pans are still soaking). Today I'm containing the leftover disaster, trying to find some semblance of habitability and getting ready to visit family. 

My first attempts at vegetarian cuisine were moderately successful, however I will never roast the turkey empty again. I don't know what possessed me to not stuff it, but that was a one-time-only event. Mini-me loved the meatless stuffing, so that was a bonus.

Other than the migraine & the mess, it was a pretty good day. I love having my entire family together, I would put up with any headache for that.

Off to continue damage control, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was going to put something witty here, demanding your praise, ideas, input or much appreciated criticism here, but you know what to do. And if you make me cry, I'll have to flog you with soggy items. (unless its funny, I appreciate funny)