Friday, October 29, 2010

Meditation Spot In A Box

My apartment is tiny. And by tiny I mean if I sit on the couch and stretch, I can wipe off my kitchen table. OK, maybe I exaggerate a little, get to know me, I do that ALOT.

Either way, I have always alway always wanted a designated corner for meditating. In my head I see filmy curtains, enough candles to make the great fire of Chicago look like a campfire, a mountain of cushions, inspiring views of mountain scenery, pretty much just an area that merely by laying eyes on it inspires instant Zen. Needless to say, I don't have that yet. When we eventually buy a house the selling point will be a room all for my very own that will be part craft room of the Gods part meditation heaven.

So, for now, I have this:
Bliss in a box!
I found a nice size piece of wood in the basement, looks like it might have belonged to some sort of entertainment stand at one time. I put obscene amounts of stuffing on it, wrapped the quasi-tie-dye fabric around it and stapled away. I wanted something a little more than just your standard tushy-cushion. I had enough fabric left to make two fire cracker pillows to complement the cushion. Shoved a few jar candles in there (I came across a stash of mason jars and with a little kosher salt, a few pretty glass doodads turned them into some pretty snazzy tea-light holders). Add one average blue fleece blankie, stuff into one wooden vegetable crate (compliments of Mom's summers working at a veggie stand) and voila, you've got this:

When I find the right fabric, that blue fleece is so outta here!
I am on the lookout for a suitable replacement for the blue fleece blanky. Eventually something will jump out at me. I want something trippy, multi-colored, with tassels. Tassels are a must! I'll attach tassels if I have to! And no, I do not do much meditating on the kitchen table.


I need one more thing to make this set complete (as if anything I ever do is complete!). Driving over 18th Street the other day I saw a fireplace screen outside of a thrift store. I am kicking myself in the tukus repeatedly for not buying it. I am now on the lookout for one to convert into a mini privacy screen. In my head it is already painted, the screen is replaced with cut up black sheer curtains (I bought 8 of them at a garage sale 4 years ago for $1.50!) and I am sitting indian style behind it. 


So, it's not quite done yet. I'm on a mission to paint every single thing that doesn't move in my abode black, and that includes this crate. I also made a lotus stencil this morning that I'm going to use on it too. (But that's another post). Hopefully I'll get to that later this weekend!

Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I was going to put something witty here, demanding your praise, ideas, input or much appreciated criticism here, but you know what to do. And if you make me cry, I'll have to flog you with soggy items. (unless its funny, I appreciate funny)